For flutists ages 18 years and younger (college/university students are not eligible)
Competition Date: Saturday, March 2, 2019
Location: Swope Hall, 817 S. High St. West Chester University, West Chester, PA
DIVISIONS AND PRIZES
Senior High Youth Artist Competition (ages 15 - 18)
First Place: $200 and Award Certificate / Second Place: Award Certificate / Third Place: Award Certificate
Junior High Youth Artist Competition (ages 12 - 14)
First Place: $150 and Award Certificate / Second Place: Award Certificate / Third Place: Award Certificate
Elementary Youth Artist Competition (ages 11 and under)
First Place: $100 and Award Certificate / Second Place: Award Certificate / Third Place: Award Certificate
COMPETITION GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
FEES, ELIGIBILITY, REQUIREMENTS, AND OBLIGATIONS
- Competition Entry Fee is $30 (does not include FSGP Membership Fee).
- All entrants must be members of the Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia (may join with entry).
- First Place Prize Winners from previous years in the same age category are not eligible.
- The First Place Prize Winner from each division will be invited to play at the Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia's Flute Fair "Winners' Recital" held in the afternoon following the Awards Ceremony on March 3, 2018. **We strongly encourage all competition participants to remain for the "Winner's Recital" as a matter of etiquette, and respectfully request you plan accordingly.** If you are selected as a First Place Prize Winner, your "Winners' Recital" performance will be an inspiration to other competition participants.
- Entrants are responsible for arranging and providing payment for their own pianists.
- Competition scheduling slots may begin as early as 8:00am and not be completed prior to 2:00pm, depending on the number of entrants. We are unable to accommodate scheduling requests.
REGISTRATION & DEADLINES
- Before you can register, you must first create an account and become a FSGP member.
- Complete the online registration forms by the February 10, 2018 (midnight EST) deadline.
- Entrants are required to perform two contrasting pieces (one selection from the Baroque or Classical era AND one selection from the Romantic, Modern, or Contemporary era).
- Pieces may be for solo flute or flute and piano. Pieces written with piano must be performed with a live pianist.
- Multiple movements of a sonata, concerto, suite, etc. may be considered one piece as long as they do not exceed the time limit for the respective division entered (see below).
- Pieces should demonstrate the entrant's ability to play both technically and lyrically.PERFORMANCE TIME LIMITSThe maximum time allowed for competition performance (including set-up and tuning) is as follows:
Should you have any questions or require further information, feel free to contact Ms. Broz, 2019 FSGP Youth Artist Competition Chair, via email.
- Elementary Youth Artist: 8 Minutes
- Junior High Youth Artist: 12 Minutes
- Senior High Youth Artist: 16 Minutes
FSGP Membership is required for all entrants.