for undergraduate flute students
currently enrolled in a college, university, or conservatory program
for the 2019-2020 school year
Preliminary recordings are *NOT* required to enter this competition.
Collegiate Entrants must enter collaborative pianist information on entry.
Should you be in need of a pianist, the following is a local professional pianist who is available:
Christina Emata via email at email@example.com
**You need to contact and secure your pianist BEFORE you submit your entry.**
Application deadline is February 9, 2020 by 11:59 PM EST.
Competition: Friday, March 6, 2020
Winners' Recital: Saturday, March 7, 2020
West Chester University
Wells School of Music - Swope Music Building
817 South High Street, West Chester, PA 19383
First Place Prize: $500 (Murray Panitz Memorial Prize)
Second Place Prize: $200
Third Place Prize: $100
COMPETITION GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
FEES, ELIGIBILITY, REQUIREMENTS, AND OBLIGATIONS
- Competition Entry Fee is $45 (does not include FSGP Membership Fee).
- All fees (Entry and Membership) are non-refundable.
- All entrants must be members of the Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia (may join with entry).
- First Place Prize Winners of the FSGP Collegiate Artist Competition from previous years are not eligible.
- Entrants must be undergraduate students currently enrolled in a college, university, or conservatory program for the 2019-2020 school year. There is no residential requirement.
- Preliminary recordings are *NOT* required to enter this competition.
- Entrants (and their pianists) must be available to perform for the adjudication panel on March 6, 2020.
- First, Second, and Third Place Prize Winners (and their pianists) must also be available to perform on March 7, 2020 (1:50pm - 3:00pm) at the Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia's Flute Fair Winners' Recital. **We strongly encourage all competition participants to remain for the Winner's Recital as a matter of etiquette.** If you are selected as a First, Second, or Third Place Prize Winner, your performance at the Winners' Recital will be an inspiration to other competition participants.
- Entrants are responsible for arranging and providing payment for their own pianists. Entrants are also responsible for setting up any and all rehearsals directly with their pianists.
REGISTRATION AND DEADLINES
- Before you can register, you must first create an account and become an FSGP member.
- Complete the online registration forms by Sunday, February 9, 2020 by 11:59pm (EST).
Collegiate Artist Competition entrants are required to perform the following:
- MARIN MARAIS – LES FOLIES d’ESPAGNE FOR SOLO FLUTE (EDITION: BÄRENREITER):
VARIATIONS: I, VI, X, XIII, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, I (must be played in order listed; include Baroque ornamentation as desired)
Pieces may be multi-movement, for solo flute or flute and piano, and demonstrate the entrant's ability to play both technically and lyrically. Pieces written with piano must be performed with a live pianist.
- ONE CONTRASTING piece of the entrant's choosing from the Romantic, Modern, or Contemporary eras.
PERFORMANCE TIME LIMIT
The maximum time allowed for competition performance (including set-up and tuning) is 18 minutes.
Should you have any questions or require further information, please contact Cindy Anne Broz, 2020 FSGP Young Artist and Collegiate Artist Competition Chair, via email.
FSGP Membership is required for all entrants.