The Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia is pleased to announce the following:
2019 FSGP YOUNG ARTIST COMPETITION
(For flutists ages 18 - 30 as of March 2, 2019)
Live Final Round Competition: Friday, March 1, 2019
"Winners' Recital" Date: Saturday, March 2, 2019
West Chester University
Wells School of Music - Swope Music Building
700 South High Street, West Chester, PA 19383
First Place Prize: $1000 / Second Place Prize: $500 / Third Place Prize: $250
COMPETITION GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
FEES, ELIGIBILITY, REQUIREMENTS, AND OBLIGATIONS
- Competition Entry Fee is $55 (this does not include FSGP Membership Fee).
- All Fees (Entry and Membership) are nonrefundable.
- The FSGP Young Artist Competition is open to flutists age 18-30 (as of March 2, 2019).
- This is an "open competition" (there is no residential requirement to enter).
- All entrants must be members of the Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia (entrants may join with entry).
- First Place Prize Winners of the FSGP Young Artist Competition from previous years are not eligible to enter this competition.
- Finalists (and their pianists) must be available to perform for the adjudication panel on March 1, 2019.
- First, Second, and Third Place Prize winners (and their pianists) must also be available to perform on March 2, 2019 at the Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia's Flute Fair "Winners' Recital."
- Finalists are responsible for arranging and providing payment for their own pianists. Upon entry, the FSGP will provide a list of local pianists. It is each finalist’s responsibility to contact, determine availability for rehearsals and performances, and approve (for their own use) any pianists on the provided list. Finalists are also responsible for setting up any and all rehearsals with their collaborative pianists. We are fortunate, once again, to have Philadelphia pianist, Christina Emata, available as our staff collaborative pianist for Finalists ("Final Round" and "Winners' Recital"). Finalists who wish to secure Ms. Emata's services need to contact her directly via email: firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange rehearsal(s). Payment for rehearsals and performances need to be made directly to Ms. Emata by the Finalist.
REGISTRATION AND DEADLINES
- Before you can register, you must first create an account and become a FSGP member.
- Complete the online registration forms by January 5, 2019 (by midnight EST).
- Upload preliminary recordings with your application by January 5, 2019 (by midnight EST). IMPORTANT NOTE: It is the entrant's responsibility to adjust format and file size so each movement from respective compulsory pieces can be uploaded as an MP3 or M4A Audio File. Wav Files, Audio/Video Files, and Files submitted/uploaded via "cloud" links, such as GoogleDrive, Box, Dropbox, etc. will not be accepted.
- Finalists (up to six) and Alternates (up to two) will be notified by January 20, 2019.
- Finalists are required to submit the completed Confirmation of Intent and Agreement to Terms and Conditions form by January 25, 2019 (midnight EST). This form will be made available in an online format.
- Finalists are required to submit the name and contact information of their collaborative pianists for the live Final Round to Cindy Anne Broz by February 10, 2019. Finalists who wish to secure Ms. Emata's services need to contact her directly via email: email@example.com to arrange rehearsal(s). Payment for rehearsals and performances need to be made directly to Ms. Emata by the Finalist.
- The Final Round will be held on March 1, 2019.
- The "Winners' Recital" will be held on March 2, 2019 during the FSGP Flute Fair.
*Failure to meet any of the above deadlines may result in forfeiture.
RECORDED ROUND REPERTOIRE AND REQUIREMENTS
Entrants are to submit an audio recording of the following compulsory pieces:
- G.P. Telemann - Fantasie No. 9 in E Major for solo Flute (complete with no repeats: feel free to use ornamentation)(Edition: Bärenreiter)
- Eugène Bozza - Image for solo Flute (Edition: Leduc)
- Recordings must be in MP3 or M4A format and uploaded with your application no later than January 5, 2019 (by midnight EST).
- It is the entrant's responsibility to adjust format and file size so each movement from respective compulsory pieces can be uploaded as an MP3 or M4A Audio File. Wav Files, Audio/Video Files, and Files submitted/uploaded via "cloud" links, such as GoogleDrive, Box, Dropbox, etc. will not be accepted.
- For identification purposes, please name your files per the following instruction: Entrant's first initial and last name followed by the composer’s last name (i.e. CBroz.Bozza; CBroz.Telemann, etc.).
- Recordings must be complete and unedited.
- Please do not talk or identify yourself in any way on your submitted recordings.
- All Recorded files will be coded for anonymity before being submitted to the Recorded Round adjudication panel.
FINAL ROUND REPERTOIRE/PROGRAM
All Finalists will perform the following:
- G.P. Telemann - Fantasie No. 9 in E Major for solo Flute: Affettuoso and Allegro (no repeats: feel free to use ornamentation) (Edition: Bärenreiter)
- Eugène Bozza - Image for solo Flute (Edition: Leduc)
Finalist's choice of one of the following pieces (to be performed in its entirety):
- Bohuslav Martinů - First Sonata for Flute and Piano (Edition: Associated Music Publishers)
- Carl Reinecke - Undine Sonata for Flute and Piano (Edition: Schott/Universal - Weiner Urtext)
- Charles-Marie Widor - Suite Opus 34 for Flute and Piano (Edition: G. Henle Verlag Urtext)
The Final Round performances are not open to the public: only you, your collaborative pianist, room proctor(s), and the adjudication panel will be allowed in the room during your performance. Please do not post or announce any information regarding your performance on social media until after the competition is completed and the winners are announced by the FSGP. Finalists’ and Alternates’ names and bios will be posted on the FSGP website and FB page on March 2, 2019.
Should you have any questions or require further information, feel free to contact Ms. Broz, 2019 FSGP Competition Coordinator, via email.
FSGP Membership is required for all entrants.