The Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia is pleased to announce the following:
2018 FSGP YOUNG ARTIST COMPETITION
(For flutists ages 18 - 30 as of March 3, 2018)
Recorded Round Submission Deadline: Sunday, January 7, 2018
Live Final Round Competition: Friday, March 2, 2018
"Winners' Recital" Date: Saturday, March 3, 2018
Location: Swope Hall, 817 S. High St. West Chester University, West Chester, PA
- First Place Prize: $1000 / Second Place Prize: $500 / Third Place Prize: $250
- Murray Panitz Memorial Scholarship Award: $500 (awarded to one of the six finalists who displays exceptional musicality)
FEES, ELIGIBILITY, REQUIREMENTS, AND OBLIGATIONS
- Competition Entry Fee is $50 (does not include FSGP Membership Fee).
- All Fees (Entry and Membership) are nonrefundable.
- The FSGP Young Artist Competition is open to flutists age 18-30 (as of March 3, 2018).
- All entrants must be members of the Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia (may join with entry).
- First Place Prize Winners from previous years are not eligible to enter this competition.
- Finalists (and their pianists) must be available to perform for the adjudication panel on March 2, 2018.
- First, Second, and Third Place Prize winners, as well as the Murray Panitz Memorial Scholarship Prize recipient (and their pianists) must also be available to perform on March 3, 2018 at the Flute Society of Greater Philadelphia's Flute Fair "Winners' Recital."
- Finalists are responsible for arranging and providing payment for their own pianists. Upon entry, the FSGP will provide a list of local pianists. It is each finalist’s responsibility to contact, determine availability for rehearsals and performances, and approve (for your own use) any pianists on the provided list. Finalists are also responsible for setting up any and all rehearsals with their collaborative pianists.
REGISTRATION & DEADLINES
- Before you can register, you must first create an account and become a FSGP member.
- Complete the online registration forms by January 7, 2018 (midnight EST) deadline.
- Submit the preliminary recordings by January 7, 2018 (midnight EST) deadline.
- Finalists (up to six) and Alternates (up to two) will be notified by January 22, 2018.
- Finalists are required to submit the completed Confirmation of Intent and Agreement to Terms and Conditions form by January 26, 2018 (midnight EST). This form will be made available in an online format.
- Finalists are required to submit the name and contact information for their collaborative pianists for the live Final Round to Cindy Anne Broz by February 16, 2018.
- The Final Round will be held on March 2, 2018.
- The "Winners' Recital" will be held on March 3, 2018 during the FSGP Flute Fair.
*Failure to meet any of the above deadlines may result in forfeiture.
RECORDED ROUND REPERTOIRE AND REQUIREMENTS
Entrants are to submit an audio recording of the following compulsory pieces:
J.S. Bach - Partita in A Minor for Solo Flute (Edition: Bärenreiter or Schott-Universal)
*I. Allemande (no repeats); III. Sarabande (first repeat only)
Robert Muczynski - Three Preludes Op. 18 for unaccompanied flute (Edition: Schirmer)
2. Andante molto
3. Allegro molto
*All three movements
- Recordings must be in MP3 or MP4 format and submitted via email to Cindy Anne Broz (2018 FSGP Young Artist Competition Chair) no later than January 7, 2018 (midnight EST).
- It is the entrant's responsibility to adjust file sizes so that they can be sent via email (you may submit separate emails to accommodate this requirement). Files that are too large or sent through a file sharing program will not be accepted.
- For identification purposes, please name your files per the following instruction: Entrant's first initial and last name followed by the composer’s name and title of the movement (i.e. CBroz.Muczynski.Allegromolto; CBroz.JSBach.Allemande, etc.).
- You may submit separate files for each movement.
- Recordings must be complete and unedited.
- Please do not talk or identify yourself in any way on your submitted recordings.
*Recorded files will be coded for anonymity before being submitted to the Recorded Round adjudication panel.
FINAL ROUND REPERTOIRE/PROGRAM
All Finalists will perform the following:
J.S. Bach - Partita in A Minor for Solo Flute
III. Sarabande (Finalists must take *both* repeats)
Robert Muczynski - Three Preludes Op. 18 for unaccompanied flute
2. Andante molto
Finalist's choice of one of the following pieces (in its entirety):
- Henri Dutilleux - Sonatine pour Flûte et Piano (Edition: Leduc)
- Darius Milhaud - Sonatine pour Flûte et Piano (Edition: Durand)
- Pierre Sancan - Sonatine pour Flûte et Piano (Edition: Durand)
Should you have any questions or require further information, feel free to contact Ms. Broz, 2018 FSGP Young Artist Competition Coordinator, via email or by phone: 951-240-0448.
FSGP Membership is required for all entrants.
Competition Entry Form will be available soon.