2023 YOUNG ARTIST COMPETITION
ELIGIBILITY AND RULES
1) There is no residential requirement to enter FSGP’s 2023 competitions.
3) Young Artist Competition applicants must be age 18-30 as of March 4, 2023.
4) Undergraduate students (who meet the Young Artist Competition age eligibility requirement) may enter BOTH the Young Artist Competition and the Collegiate Artist Competition. If selected as a Finalist in both, entrant must perform in Young Artist Competition Final round ONLY.
5) The competition entry fee is $55. (This does not include the membership fee.) Please note the entry and membership fees are non-refundable.
6) Previous First Place Winners of the Young Artist Competition are not eligible to compete again. Previous Second Place and Third Place Winners are eligible to compete, and previous winners of other divisions are eligible to compete.
7) Any questions should be directed to Cindy Anne Broz (FSGP Competitions Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Entry Form, fee, and AUDIO RECORDING must all be received by 9:00pm (EST) on December 18, 2022. Recordings must be in MP3 or M4A format. Please note that WAV files, video files, and other formats will not be accepted.
2) Six (6) Finalists will be selected and notified on January 15, 2023.
3) The Final Round will be held in person on Friday, March 3, 2023 at the Wells School of Music, West Chester University of Pennsylvania.
NOTIFICATION (FINAL ROUND WINNERS)
First, Second, and Third Place prize winners will be notified on Friday, March 3, immediately following the Final Round performances, and invited to perform live at the Winners' Recital on Saturday, March 4.
PRELIMINARY AUDIO RECORDED ROUND
PRELIMINARY ROUND PROCEDURES
1) Files must be in MP3 or M4A Format (audio only) and uploaded with your completed online entry form on or before December 18, 2022 by 9:00pm (EST). Please note: WAV files, video files, and other file types or links will not be accepted.
2) Upload two separate audio files (one for each compulsory piece) via the Entry Form's upload port. Each uploaded piece must be one take without editing or splicing. Please do not talk or identify yourself in any way on your recordings.
3) Label your audio files as follows: Division.Your First Initial and Last Name.Composer (Example: YoungArtist.JDoe.Bozza). To guarantee anonymous adjudication, all audio files will be renamed with a random Entrant Number before they are sent to the Preliminary Recorded Round adjudication panel.
REPERTOIRE (PRELIMINARY ROUND)
E. Bozza — IMAGE for solo Flute [Leduc]
C.P.E. Bach — SONATA IN A MINOR for solo Flute, Mvt. 1, Adagio [any edition]
FINAL ROUND PROCEDURES
1) The six finalists will perform in person for the Final Round adjudicators on Friday March 3, 2023 at the Wells School of Music, West Chester University of Pennsylvania. Your performances must include your Choice Piece (with piano accompaniment), plus C.P.E. Bach - SONATA IN A MINOR for solo Flute, Mvt. 1, Adagio [any edition]
2) Finalists will receive information about local collaborative pianists, travel, and nearby hotels upon notification of advancing to the Finals. West Chester is 25 miles from Philadelphia International Airport.
3) Because adjudication is anonymous, please do not announce publicly or via social media that you have advanced to the Final Round.
4) Finalists’ and Winners' names, photos, and bios will be posted on the FSGP website and social media pages on March 4, 2023. We encourage you to share the news once FSGP has made the announcement.
REPERTOIRE (FINAL ROUND)
C.P.E. Bach – SONATA IN A MINOR for solo Flute, Mvt. 1, Adagio [any edition]
Finalist's choice of ONE of the following pieces performed in its entirety (with piano):
• P. Gaubert – SONATA NO. 3 for flute and piano [Heugel/Leduc edition]
• R. Muczynski – SONATA for flute and piano [Shirmer]
• C-M. Widor – SUITE for flute and piano [any edition]
• S. Zyman – SONATA NO. 1 for flute and piano [Theodore Presser Company]
Failure to meet any of the above deadlines or requirements may result in forfeiture.